Sunday, 28 September 2008

Raiding the cupboards: Roy Chicago




When it comes to world music, particularly African music I'm usually the first person to jump up and say turn that off it sounds mental. My dad used to play Shina Peters and Kollington all the time when I was younger and i've got an intense hatred for both those guys. But about five years ago I started to listen back and realise there was a lot of genius in my dads collection.

Roy Chicago is a new found favourite. He was a massive hi-life act before people got bored of the westernised soun and sought out Juju acts with their more traditional Nigerian sound. Here are a couple of Roy's best tracks - there is something pretty special about his Nigeria take on American crooning.

Maria

Aiye Soro

(Follow the link to download the songs.)

No comments: