Friday, 12 September 2008

Man drowns: people watch







I was in Manchester recently and witnessed this guy nearly drown to death in the river Irwell while about 200 people watched eagerly. He was pissed out of his face and had fallen in. The whole thing was bizarre.

The people watching made this makeshift viewing gallery on the opposite side of the river and people took turns to get a good photograph - so much for human kindness.

I can say all this safe in the knowledge that a) I'm a journalist and b) I hate water and probably would have drowned myself if i'd try to help. That helps me sleep at night anyway.

My friend Dan was like a war photographer and managed to get photos of nearly everything that happened, plus a video of the rescue - It's hardly 999 but it brightened up my day.

No comments: